Thursday, June 26, 2008

GRILLED PINEAPPLE WITH RUM SAUCE


My husband loves being 'BBQ Man' on Saturday evenings in the summer and last weekend he knew from Metcheck.com that the weather forecast was for rain and gale force winds, but he still insisted the weather would turn out OK.

We go through this nearly every weekend in the summer and then the planned outdoor BBQ ends up being cooked indoors. Although, to be fair, we have had a handful of BBQ's so far this year.

Last year he put his foul weather gear on, put the garden parasol up and proceeded to BBQ!!! How's that for sheer determination. I have to admit though we did have visitors, and he thought he would put on a 'bit of a show'.

The pineapple cooked really well on the grill pan! The sauce was delicious and not too rich. The pineapple was a little difficult to eat, and I think after cooking, the pineapple should be cut across the width down to the skin, then you won't have to fight with it so much!

Delia Smith has a wonderful recipe for coconut ice cream which would go very well with the pineapple.

EASY SUMMER FOOD

ISBN 1841728233 - Page 192

Serves: 6

For the rum butter sauce:

100g soft brown sugar, 100g unsalted butter, 100ml dark rum, 1 medium pineapple with leafy top if possible, cut length ways into wedges and core removed.

1. Put the sugar, butter and rum in a small saucepan and heat until the sugar dissolves.
2. Brush a little of the mixture over the pineapple wedges, then cook them on a preheated barbecue or on a stove-top grill pan for 2 minutes on each side until charred and tender.
3. Serve with ice cream and remaining rum sauce.

14 comments :

Sylvie said...

We only got one BBQ in so far this year, but I'm hoping July might be a better months for sunny weekends. The pineapple looks wonderful!

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

hi margaret
this reminds to try it this week over the baarai at house ...grilled pineapple with rum sauce sounds interesting and will try over chicken baaraii.am back and will continue to track new ideas, as ever !

Beth said...

My husband is exactly the same. Pineapple looks delicious - need to get an ice cream maker I think!!

Swati: Sugarcraft India said...

Hi Margaret, the pineapple looks so tempting..would taste delicious..
The passion cake too looks so very good!!

Brilynn said...

I had a pineapple sitting on my counter all last week and every night I'd say "I'm going to grill this pineapple and make a caramel rum sauce to go with it". Did it happen?? Noooo. And now I'm even more sad because yours looks great!

Monkee said...

I love pineapple on the barbie. I did it earlier this year and sprinkled some cinnamon sugar on it and it was great! I'll give yours a go when summer comes. :)

We Are Never Full said...

ok that rum sauce is something i'm making!! that could go with so many delicious desserts!

Antonia said...

Haven't yet dusted off the barbecue - must do so. This looks wonderful - I'm always a bit stuck as to what to cook for pudding at a barbecue. I usually resort to baking bananas so nice to have a new idea!

Maria said...

Hi Margaret

We've only had 1 bbq so far this summer but this grilled pineapple definately looks like a wonderful dessert for our next bbq! DELISH.

Maria
x

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

Hi margaret
whats cooking this july ?

Margaret said...

Hi Anamika - I have been away on holiday. I hope to post in the next few days!!

The Caked Crusader said...

Anything with rum grabs my attention! This looks very exotic and lovely

Kelly-Jane said...

Hot pineapple, yum, and rum sauce, it gets better! :)

Lorette said...

Lush recipe! just discovered your blgo through tread on BBC food chat. Anything with Rhum in it can't be wrong I think!!! just made a brioche and butter pudding with a splash of the dark stuff in it ...and another splash in the custard for good measure YUMMM

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...