Monday, August 18, 2008

BABY FRUIT CAKES


This is my entry for the Waiter, there's something in my.......picnic basket! Our host for this event is Johanna over at The Passionate Cook.
It isn't exactly picnic in the park weather in my part of the country, here in the UK. More like picnic in the car weather! Even if you wrapped up and was brave enough to set out for a picnic, you would still end up eating it in the car - the weather has either rained all day or has teased us throughout, with black clouds looming above us.

When I saw these fruit cakes I didn't really associate them with picnics - but this year, perhaps we need something more substantial to take out with us for the day.

The recipe comes from Jill Dupleix who is a food writer, she often makes television appearances here in the UK, on programmes such as Market Kitchen and Saturday Cooks. Jill's recipes can be found in food magazines and she has also written several cookbooks. In 2002 Jill received the British Cookery Journalist of the Year Award from the British Guild of Food Writers.

My food blogging friends might be interested to know that Jill did all the photography for three of her books, Simple Food, Very Simple Food and Totally Simple Food.

18 comments :

Kitchen Flavours said...

Cookies are tempting. Nice picture.
Perfect for the event.

The Caked Crusader said...

What a lovely idea - I find a slice of fruitcake too rich but a little cake like this would be most welcome!

Beth said...

I can't believe the weather this summer - its starting to get very depressing! These aby fruit cakes are a great idea. Will be bookmarking these

Maria said...

These fruit cakes look delish and my hubby loves any type of fruit cake!

Maria
x

Dee said...

What a great idea! This would be perfect for Christmas too, I think.

thepassionatecook said...

ah, i bet these fruit cakes are perfect for a picnic whatever the weather!!! i escaped early enough and had great weather in austria - but these would be just as yummy on my next skiing trip ;-)
thanks for your contribution!

Cakelaw said...

I love a bit of fruitcake, and these look very nice Margaret.

SweetBites said...

Te weather is unpredictable here in Malaysia too. But those cake will be nice to eat whether it rains or shines!

Swati said...

The baby fruit cakes look amazing and delicious..would love to try these out..

Jan said...

They look great! Good pictures too.

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

Hi margaret
the fruit cake looks good ..i know it must have tatsed delicious..the visual affect is nice !

Lynnylu said...

Lovely fruitcakes. I'll have to check out Jill's book. I read her articles in one of your fabulous cooking mags.

bella said...

your baby fruitcakes look delicious
bad day,perfect recipe!

Rosie said...

Wonderful idea M - just love fruit cakes and these are just a perfect size for one mmmmmmm...

Rosie x

bella said...

Thanks for your advice,i have put googlegadjet on my blog , so english readers can visit my blog and read my recipes
thank you!

Antonia said...

What gorgeous little fruit cakes! I'd never have thought to make them this size - perfect for a substantial end to a chilly picnic in the current weather.

kittie said...

Wow - my other half will love you forever for pointing me to this recipe! He loves fruit cake, but I hate it, so never make it!!!

(I did not know Jill did her own photography! Talented lass :)

Margaret said...

Thank you everyone for stopping by and leaving such kind comments - they are very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...