Monday, May 23, 2011

NIGEL SLATER'S LEMON POSSET


This classic recipe is taken from Nigel Slater's wonderful book Tender Vol II.
A Cook's Guide to the Fruit Garden.

Only three ingredients are used in this delicious recipe, lemons, sugar and cream and they produce one of the best desserts you will ever eat and perfect for a Summer's day.

Many people pass on making the dessert course and this is sometimes because of time restraints or possibly cost. This is a dessert that can be made in advance, takes ten minutes to prepare and for a cost of around £2.50 fills eight shot glasses. I bought my shot glasses from a well known discount department store and have used them time and time again. They are a crafty way to serve individual desserts and always look good on the plate.

My shortbread is a recipe by Lorraine Pascale from Baking Made Easy and you can see my posting here. The shot glass is perhaps swamped by the shortbread, but who wants a tiny piece of homemade sugary shortbread anyway.

Makes: 8 shot glass servings

500ml double cream, 150g caster sugar, 75ml lemon juice.

1. Place the cream and caster sugar into a saucepan and then bring to the boil, stir occasionally in order to dissolve the sugar. Now lower the heat and leave to bubble for approximately 3 minutes, stirring from time to time.
2. Reduce the heat enough to stop the mixture boiling over, now let it bubble enthusiastically for about 3 minutes, stirring regularly.
3. Remove from the heat, now stir in the lemon juice and leave to settle.
4. If you are using glasses leave to cool for a while and then pour into your glasses, cover with clingwrap to prevent a skin from forming.
5. Place in the fridge for a few hours before serving.




13 comments:

Maria♥ said...

Maggie, those Lemon Possets look heavenly and definitely the perfect summer dessert! Shortbread looks yummy too.

Maria
x

Kavey said...

I've been making this a fair bit in last few months and just LOVE it! It's so easy and yet is soooo indulgent, and I've taken it to a couple of supper clubs (where one brought a dish) and it's gone down so well!

The Caked Crusader said...

YOur photos are amazing - they look like they've come from a beautiful cookbook

Kath said...

Fantastic photos Maggie. You are absolutely right about the big slab of shortbread being necessary, no one wants to eat just a little bit. I love the frozen raspberries.

James B said...

This looks like a great prepare ahead summer time dessert - like at a BBQ!! I have this book and just starting to read it.

Lin,pain d'├ępices et chocolat said...

I came here just to say hello and I ended up copying two recipes (I got myself a little notebook where i can write down the recipes I find on blogs). My husband, who has the printer complains that I print too many recipes, so now I handwrite them!
I am looking forward to trying these little creams with shortbread.

Choclette said...

These look so good. Really like the use of the shot glasses. It makes the posset look so elegant. Simple desserts that can be prepared in advance are great. The shortbread looks pretty yummy too.

Hazel said...

What lovely little summer treats! Shortbread is the perfect accompaniment! Love how simply this recipe is too. No excuses for bought desserts!

Nic said...

So simple and yet so delicious!
Oh I would definitely want a huge slice of the shortbread with mine!

Heavenly Housewife said...

I've got to try this. I cant think of anything better tan an easy 3 ingredient recipe :D. Simple is always best i think.
*kisses* HH

Gloria said...

Hi Dear Maggie, I love your dessert look amazing and delicious. I had a lot of porblems too the last I cannoy comments in many parts, only like anonymous, xx gloria

Malli said...

Absolutely divine and very tempting
I have a sweet tooth and love desserts!! Cheers

Anonymous said...

Love these!! Lemon posset is perfect for the family because it is yummy for the kids sophisticated for the tweens and lemony for the adults AMZING!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...