Sunday, January 16, 2011

NIGELLA LAWSON'S CHOCOLATE CHIP BREAD PUDDING


I never bought into the idea of chocolate bread and butter pudding, it seemed like one step too far. Nigella's recipe for chocolate chip bread pudding is a half way house for me. I wasn't sure if my husband would like this pudding, he loves bread and butter pudding and doesn't really like it messed about with.

My adapted recipe and uses only a quarter of the chocolate chips used in the original recipe, otherwise my husband wouldn't eat it! I think this pudding is a real winner and has a lot more eye appeal than the usual chocolate bread pudding.

I made a loaf of bread in my bread maker for this recipe, so that I could cut large chunks of bread. To get the best out of this pudding you need a good loaf of unsliced bread and preferably not sliced 'plastic' bread.

The recipe can be found in Nigella's latest book Kitchen.


If you are a bread and butter pudding lover, perhaps you would like to see the others I have posted on this blog, maybe this is the start of the National Collection of Bread and Butter Puddings!

12 comments :

Heavenly Housewife said...

I've never made a bread and butter pudding. I never liked the idea of it (it is not a popular desert in America, where I'm from)... but like most delicious English things, I am coming around. I am like totally british these days, and cant even eat a sweet without a cup of tea to wash it down with now LOL.
*kisses* HH

Kath said...

Yes to you having the national collection, that would be fantastic. I love traditional bread and butter pudding, but I am also partial to chocolate bread and butter pudding, especially Delia's version. A friend makes it and it is absolutely gorgeous, it sits soaking for 24 hours before being cooked. This one with choc chips looks equally as good.

Janice said...

Lovely, I love the crunchiness of the topping and then you get the softness of the custard underneath all soaked into the bread. I did once make Delia's Chocolate B&B pudding and it was fantastic, but it is so rich, it's only for the occasional treat.

Choclette said...

Your bread and butter pudding looks delicious. I haven't made one in a very long time, but I did once try making it with pain au chocolat instead of the bread and butter. Yours looks nicer.

Gloria said...

I love bread and butter pudding Maggie and this look absolutely amazing! gloria

Sweet and Savory said...

I have never made bread pudding and I am thinking it is time to do something about that.

The Caked Crusader said...

That looks pretty fine to me! Lovely photos - I'm drooling. Is it wrong to want this before 9am?

Nicisme said...

I like bread and butter puddings, don't have them often enough though. This one looks great, you've made me hungry now!

Antonia said...

I love bread and butter pudding but sadly my husband hates it so we never have it at home. I like the sound of this version very much. I had a good one made with pain au chocolat once too.

Lin, pain d'├ępices et chocolat said...

That is so yummy... something we don't do in France (but that I do). Can you please tell me if the google translator is good from French to English: a blogger's daughter is translating her blog... seh'll soon get tired of it.... by the way, I have just tried yours on your blog and it is a bit funny sometimes!! I am wondering if it doesn't "speak" English better than French hihi

lynn said...

I'm a big fan of B&B pudding, but like you, I'm afraid that my husband just wouldn't wear this one.

sophiesfoodiefiles said...

Your bread pudding looks ooh so tasty & fabulous even!

This is certainly a rich, tasty & fab dessert!
MMMMMMMMM,..!!

Kisses from Brussels to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...