It's Red Nose Day/Comic Relief on Friday, 18 March and I couldn't resist making these cheeky cupcakes. If you are taking part in a Red Nose Day bake these will be perfect.
The coconut flavouring can be bought online from Jane Asher. I topped the cupcakes with chocolate fudge frosting and a whole glace cherry for the nose.
If you use Lakeland muffin cases I would only make 11 cakes, because their muffin cases tend to be larger (you can see from the photograph these are the ones I used), but if you use the supermarket ones the mix will easily make 12.
You will need: A muffin tin lined with 12 muffin cases.
125g softened butter, ½ tsp coconut flavouring, 150g caster sugar, 2 eggs, 80ml milk, 40g dessicated coconut, 70g washed and chopped red glace cherries, 50g dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate, 150g self-raising flour, 35g plain flour
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Beat the butter, flavouring, sugar and eggs in a small bowl with an electric mixer until well mixed.
3. Stir in the milk, coconut, cherries and chocolate, then the sifted flours. Place the mixture into the muffin cases.
4. Bake for 25-35 minutes until cooked. After 10 minutes turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
100g plain or milk chocolate chopped (I use Green & Blacks), 2 tablespoons milk, 50g unsalted butter, 75g icing sugar
1. Put the chocolate, milk and butter in a small saucepan and heat gently, taking care not to overheat, stirring until the chocolate and butter have melted.
2. Remove from the heat and stir in the icing sugar until smooth. Spread the frosting over the cakes while still warm.
For the noses: 12 red glace cherries