Tuesday, May 10, 2011

COFFEE & WALNUT CUPCAKES


Coffee and walnut cake, coffee and walnut cupcakes, both are in my top ten favourite cakes.

Some time back I was invited to the launch of Kenco Millicano. Designer Patrick Cox and Patissier Eric Lanlard teamed up with Kenco Millicano to create a Kenco Millicano 'Cake Pop'. Unfortunately, I couldn't attend because it was in London, and an evening event. I'm ok, honest, but I'm still not over missing out on this!

Kenco Millicano is a 'wholebean instant coffee': a combination of instant coffee and finely-milled Arabica coffee beans. Just perfect for making my coffee and walnut cakes.

Makes: 12

You will need: 12 hole muffin tray lined with muffin cases.

150g softened unsalted butter, 150g caster sugar, 175g self-raising flour, 3 eggs, 1 tablespoon Kenco Millicano.

1. Mix 1 tablespoon of Kenco Millicano in 1 tablespoon of boiling water. Leave to cool whilst you weigh out the other ingredients.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4.
3. Put all the cake ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat for 2 minutes until light and creamy. Divide the mixture evenly among the cake cases.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and leave to cool in the bun tray.

Buttercream

You will need: 150g softened unsalted butter, 250g icing sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2 teaspoons hot water.

1. Put the butter and icing sugar in a bowl and beat until light and smooth.
2. Add the vanilla extract and hot water, beat again.

Thank you Kenco Millicano and Mel.

8 comments:

Maria♥ said...

I love coffee cake or cupcakes too. Those cupcakes look wonderful, could do with one of those now!

Maria
x

Kath said...

ooh my favourite, these look so delicious.

James Brewer said...

Coffee and Walnut Cake is definately in my top two favourites, and these little ones look scrummy!

Hazel said...

Oooh one of my favourite combos in a cake too! I always love the presentation of your cupcakes!

Kelly-Jane said...

They look great. Sound like it would have been a good event, especailly getting to taste the cake pops!!

Choclette said...

They look lovely Maggie and I'm sure taste delicious.

Jenniferr said...

Where is the walnut part of this recipe? The ingredients only list coffee :(

Maggie said...

Jenniferr - as you have pointed out I omitted to list walnuts in the ingredients list. The walnuts were used only for decoration purposes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...