The recipes in the MasterChef Kitchen Bible are from easy to advanced, and this is a book brimming with achievable recipes in both the Modern Classics section and Favourite Recipes from the MasterChef Series. There is a wealth of information regarding ingredients, hints, tips, technical know-how and excellent step-by-step photographs with detailed instructions.
A record audience of 9 million viewers tuned into the final of the latest series of the popular MasterChef final on BBC television and the MasterChef Kitchen Bible is the ultimate cooking companion to help you become an expert in your home.
The first section of the book takes us through a collection of 100 Modern Classics all good cooks should know, with a photograph to accompany the majority of the recipes. Recipes include eggs Benedict and smoked haddock risotto, to lemon tart and indulgent red velvet cupcakes.
The following section gives 30 Recipes from the MasterChef Series including a recipe from the MasterChef 2010 Champion Dhruv Baker - Spiced Battered Fish and Chips, Exploding Lemon Macaroons by Tim Kinnaird Finalist 2010, White Chocolate Mousse with Raspberry and Elderflower Jelly by Claire Lara - Professionals Champion 2010. Fellow food blogger, Celebrity Finalist 2009 Wendi Peters Sticky Toffee Pudding recipe will be adored by fans of 'proper puddings'.
Baked Lime Cheesecake with Rum Cream - Dennice Russell Semi-finalist 2009.
MasterChef Know-How - a section recommending essential tools, 150 MasterChef skills classes, and essential information on buying, storing, preparing and cooking a range of key ingredients. There are recommendations for buying the best knives, pots and pans, and additional equipment must haves. Clear step-by-step instructions showing everything from boning a flat fish to making hollandaise sauce.
GOAT'S CHEESE AND RED ONION TART - Lisa Faulkner Celebrity Champion 2010.
For the Pastry: Small sprig thyme, 100g plain flour, 25g butter, 25g lard.
For the Red Onion Jam: 25g butter, 25g soft brown sugar, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1-2 tbsp cassis, salt and freshly ground black pepper, 2 finely sliced red onions.
For the Goat's Cheese: 175g crumbly Goat's cheese, 1 egg yolk, 1-2 tbsp double cream.
For the Salad: handful of rocket leaves, 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tsp lemon juice.
1. To make the pastry, strip the thyme leaves into a food processor and add the flour, butter, and lard. Mix on the pulse setting to form crumbs. Gradually add enough water (about 2-3 tbsp) to form a soft dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
2. To make the onion jam, melt the butter in a saute pan and add the sugar, vinegar, cassis, and some seasoning. Add the onions, bring to the boil and cook, uncovered, over a very low heat for 30 minutes.
3. Heat the oven to 200°C(400°F/Gas6). Place a sturdy baking sheet in the oven. Divide the pastry into quarters, then roll them out, and use to line four 10cm loose-bottomed
tart tins. Line with greaseproof paper and baking beans. Place on the heated baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the beans and lining paper and return to the oven for 5 minutes. Leave to cool for a few minutes.
4. Trim away any rind on the goat's cheese and crumble the cheese into a bowl. Mix with the egg yolk and a splash of cream. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Reserve about a third of the red onion jam to use as garnish, then divide the rest between the tartlets and spoon the goat's cheese mixture on top. Return to the oven for 7-8 minutes, or until the tops are bubbling and tinged with brown.
6. For the salad, rinse the rocket leaves and pat dry. Pour the olive oil and lemon juice into a bowl, and season with plenty of salt and pepper. Add the rocket leaves and toss gently to coat.
7. To serve, place a spoonful of red onion jam on the centre of each plate. Carefully remove the tarts from their tins and sit them on top of the jam. Top with rocket salad and serve.
MasterChef Kitchen Bible Dorling Kindersley £26.
Thank you Sophia for the wonderful book.
DK have just launched their first cookery App: Quick Cook for iPad. The app is based on DK bestselling Cook Express book, which makes choosing recipes, planning menus, shopping for food and the cooking itself, fast, fun and hassle-free. The DK Quick Cook App has over 500 illustrated recipes and is the perfect addition for any cook, helping you to prepare fresh, simple meals with minimal time and effort required.
The DK Quick Cook App is available for £3.99 from the App Store on iPad or from iTunes.