29 May 2016

Thermomix Steamed Asparagus and Hollandaise Sauce

Asparagus and Hollandaise Sauce

I couldn't believe how easy it is to achieve a perfectly smooth (not curdled) hollandaise. I'm sounding annoyingly smug now but one of the reasons I invested was to make sauces that I found to be too much of a faff.  There's still the jug to wash after it's done it's magic but the dishwasher can take care of that.

The salmon and asparagus were cooked in the Varoma (a fancy name for the steamer) and the new potatoes in the steamer basket which sits inside the jug.  After these were cooked I then got to work making the sauce using the whisk attachment but don't forget to wash the jug and cool down with cold water otherwise the hollandaise will turn to scrambled eggs when you put the egg yolks into the jug.

My sauce isn't the recommended Thermomix recipe, but I did use the method given in The Basic Cook Book which is supplied with the Thermie. I spent a few minutes Googling and came up with a recipe using less butter, the result was a thinner sauce but I found it perfect for this meal. Brilliantly this sauce cooks in 4 minutes!

Hollandaise Sauce being made in the Thermomix
Sauce being whisked
Potatoes being cooked in the steamer basket
Potatoes in the steamer basket take about 30/40 minutes to cook
Salmon Fillets are cooked in the Varoma Tray
Salmon takes approximately 20 minutes 
Depending how thick the asparagus stalks are this should take between 10 and 20 minutes to cook in the Varoma.

Asparagus being steamed in the Varoma
Asparagus being steamed
For a Thin Hollandaise Sauce
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp cold water
1 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper
50g butter melted

1. Add the egg yolks, cold water, lemon juice and seasoning to the jug.  Place the whisk on the blade. Whisk on speed 3 until doubled in size.
2. Making sure the Measuring Cup is placed on the lid. 4 mins/70C/Speed 3, steadily pour the melted butter onto the lid and it will slowly go trickle down into the jug and the sauce will thicken. Check to see if any more lemon juice and seasoning is required. Pour into a jug and serve.

I'm still getting to know my Thermie but to date I'm really pleased with the results. I know part of the sales talk is that it will replace all my kitchen gadgets but I've bought a shed load of gadgets over the years and reviewed lots too and I wouldn't part with any of them even though I may use them less often.

It's a shame you can't buy the Thermomix from stores but that's how they sell. My local demonstrator Marta is a Team Leader and really knows her product.  Recently I was invited to a fun morning watching Marta and a team of demonstrators putting the machine through it's paces.  It was a class aimed at people who had recently bought a machine or were keen to see a demonstration - it's a great way to meet new people too!

Thermomix #boughtbymeforme