Saturday, August 25, 2007

MINI CHERRY TOMATO AND BASIL PESTO GALETTES


Whilst admiring Scott's Strawberry and Champagne Jam on his site I noticed that he is hosting Weekend Herb Blogging. and my canapes made with basil pesto fit the theme superbly and so here is my entry for the above.
We had a 'bit of a do' this last weekend and I made a few canapes. These in particular were very popular. They were easy to make and big on taste.
Making pesto is a doddle - I used basil from my garden and there wasn't a cellophane wrapped package of basil or a jar of pesto in sight.
The book I took this recipe from is my personal favourite - the recipes are all 'do-able', the food styling and photography is amazing. Every photograph, on every page, jumps out at you and says make me.
If you are about to have a 'bit of a do' look out for this book - you'll be glad you did!

CANAPES

Eric Treuille & Victoria Blashford-Snell

ISBN 1405305134 - Page 44

Makes: 20

15g basil leaves, 2 tbsp pine nuts, 1 tbsp olive oil, 4 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated, 200g puff pastry, 20 cherry tomatoes, each cut into 3 slices, salt, black pepper, 20 basil sprigs to garnish.

You will need a 5cm fluted pastry cutter.



FOR THE PESTO:
Place the basil, pine nuts, oil and Parmesan in a food processor or blender and pulse to a thick paste.

1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC(400ºF)Gas 6.
2. Roll out pastry on a floured surface to 2.5mm thick. Stamp out 20 rounds with the pastry cutter. Place the pastry rounds onto a floured baking sheet.
3. Spread ½ tsp pesto onto each pastry round and top with 3 cherry tomato slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Bake until crisp and golden, about 10 minutes.
5. Garnish each galette with ½ tsp pesto and a basil sprig. Serve warm.

Pesto can be made up to 3 days in advance. Put into a container, place a layer of clingfilm on top of the pesto and refrigerate.
Bake galettes up to 1 day in advance.
Reheat in a preheated oven 200ºC(400ºF)Gas 6 for 3 minutes. Garnish and serve warm.

CAN I HAVE ANOTHER ONE PLEASE?

9 comments :

Patricia Scarpin said...

These are delicious, Margaret - and they look so cute!
I love miniature food.

Magic Cochin said...

I'm not surprised these were popular - bet they smelled yummy!

we don't have the usual abundance of tomatoes and basil this year (dashed weather!!!!) but I'll find some for these

Celia

Joanna said...

Mmm ... so pretty, too!

Joanna
joannasfood.blogspot.com

bhags said...

Hi Margaret, first time here.
I was looking for a basic canape recipe and guess i have found it here...love all ur recipes, wonderfule blog.

Margaret said...

Thank you for visiting my foodblog and leaving comments. I hope you will visit again.

Kalyn said...

Yes, I would love to try a couple of these. They look wonderful; great photos.

Sue (coffeepot) said...

I wait to try!

I will have to sub pear tomatoes from my garden and walnuts since I am out of pine nuts at this time.

Thanks for a great idea.

Kelly-Jane said...

How simple and totally delicious! Yum.

Stef said...

I want one!! Those look so yummy and so fresh! I've never heard of a canape before.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...