Sunday, April 26, 2009

A COUPLE OF NIGEL SLATER RECIPES


How could I resist making a couple of Nigel Slater's wonderful recipes.

We find from reading his books, Nigel calls Toad in the Hole - 'Toad' - and has always fondly called it this since he was a child.

The sausages used should really be the herby variety, but in the freezer I had some fabulous pork sausages made by my local Q Guild butcher. Obviously for the photograph, herb would have looked better but I hadn't preplanned making this and so thick pork sausages it was.

You have to firstly skin the sausages and then wrap them in Prosciutto. The batter is slightly soggy underneath and crisp on top - exactly as Nigel wants us to experience his recipe. Also, a new twist, was to add grain mustard to the batter mix - his 'Toad' was a winner.

I served this with his browned onion and Marsala gravy, and have made this on numerous occasions.

The recipe comes from his book Nigel Slater's Real Food - a link to the recipe can be found here.

PLUM CRISP - NIGEL SLATER'S KITCHEN DIARIES


This is a quick and easy recipe to make and I chose bright red ripe plums for this. Nigel advises the pudding is best eaten hot, with either ice cream or cold cream.

The crisp topping is made by simply melting butter and pouring over breadcrumbs and sugar.

The Kitchen Diaries is one of those books that you can't put down and then can't make your mind up which recipe to cook next!

Nigel writes for The Observer and you can find his Plum Crisp recipe here.

16 comments:

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

My that toad in the hole looks good! Skinning the sausages and wrapping in prosciutto - I can only imagine how that would taste. Will have to give it a go.

Gill the Painter said...

I haven't had a bad recipe with Nigel Slater.

I've made his toad in the hole but without the prosciutto - husband didn't want it.

I bet it better in!!!

The Caked Crusader said...

Toad in the hole with onion gravy is one of my absolute favourites. Yours looks amazing. I will definitely be making this!

Sophie said...

MMMMMM...Margaret: the plum crisp!
I have the same book too & I love Nigel slater: his recipes are fun & allways work!!

Sam said...

Nigel Slater's recipes are fantastic, they have never let me down. The toad in the hole looks heavenly!

Jan said...

I've made Nigel Slater's toad in the hole before and the Marsala gravy too - double yum on a plate!
Thanks for reminding me I will have to make this NOW!!!
The plum crips looks good too.

Alex said...

Oh my Lord, sausages wrapped in prosciutto?! Fabulous! I'm cooking a Nigel recipe for tonight's supper too...

Maria♥ said...

You can't go wrong with Nigel! The toad in the hole sounds divine with the proscuitto wrapped around the sausages!!

Maria
x

James said...

Wow, it just takes it to a whole new level. Now there's something that woul dgo nice with the beer baked beans too.

There's a Nigel book on the kitchen book shelf in one of the houses I regularly cook at. While the guests are having coffee after dessert I'm always browsing through it.

C said...

I love Nigel Slater's writing and his recipes - he makes you hungry just reading them! Your toad looks amazing with the batter all puffed around the sausages. Mmmm.

Love the plum crisp too - hot puddings just can't be beaten, especially with ice-cream!

Cakelaw said...

Nigel Slater is a magnificent food writer - you have inspired me to get out The Kitchen Diaries (the only book that I have) and pick out a new recipe.

Su-Lin said...

Love his recipes! His onion and Marsala gravy went down in treat in our household!

Display homes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jobs newzealand said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Angie@ blooming tea said...

I love the sausage recipe. It looks really delicious. You can't go wrong with Nigel's recipes. It's irressistible.

Rosie Swaffer said...

I made his toad in the hole too... was delicious but needed a longer cooking time than he stated.

Photo of my attempt here http://rosieposiespuddingsandpies.blogspot.com/2012/02/blog-post.html

x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...