Thursday, July 22, 2010


The inspiration for these cakes came from the wonderful lavender bush in my garden. I looked for recipes using lavender but as I am on a 'flowers and cupcakes' mission at the moment, Nigella's recipe in her book Forever Summer was perfect.

Nigella created these lavender cupcakes to raise money for the Lavender Trust, which is a charity for young women with breast cancer and was set up in memory of Ruth Picardie.

Whilst in the garden on a glorious hot and sunny day, I gained an unexpected 'new friend', a butterfly no less. As I started to cut a few lavender sprigs, he settled on the bush. He was a little camera shy and the photograph, unfortunately, doesn't show all of his markings.

For this recipe you will need to make some lavender sugar first. Simply put a few sprigs of lavender into some caster sugar for a few days and hey presto, lavender sugar.

For the cupcakes you will need:

125 g self-raising flour, 125g very soft unsalted butter, 125g sieved lavender sugar, 2 eggs, pinch salt and a few tablespoons of milk.

1. Preheat the oven to 200°C /Gas 6 and line a 12 bun muffin tin with paper cases.
2. Put all of the cake ingredients, except the milk, into a food processor and whizz, now blend in the milk.
3. Fill the cake cases and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked.

For the icing:
250g Instant Royal Icing, violet icing colour, twelve sprigs lavender

1. Cut the peaked tops off the cooled cupcakes.
2. Make up the icing with a little water to a thick double cream pouring consistency. Put some food colour paste onto a skewer and dye the icing to a pastel violet.
3. Spoon some of the icing over the top of the cupcakes. Top each of the cupcakes with a little sprig of lavender before the icing sets.

Cupcake on FoodistaCupcake


Gloria said...

Margaret What lovely and cute lavender cupcakes! georgeous, I love lavender! gloria

nandini said...

Hello first time here.. I adore cupcakes and my family does too. This is a new one to me and love the light purple frosting. Must be smelling divine!.

colehillkitchen said...

these look so elegant and delicate, absolutely beautiful!!

Becca :-)

Heavenly Housewife said...

These are just beautiful. I have some lavender which grew in my garden last year that I dried. Now thanks to you, I've got a great recipe to use them.
Have a wonderful weekend.
*kisses* HH

Nicisme said...

I can almost smell the lavender wafting in the breeze, they look brilliant.

Hazel said...

These look gorgeous! I just LOVE the taste of flowers, my friends always tease me for it. I really want to experiment more with flowery flavours :) any idea if elderflower cupcakes would work?! Perhaps not...

Anne said...

The sprigs of lavender look so pretty :)

The Caked Crusader said...

Beautiful cupcakes - so clean and professional looking!

lynn said...

Beautiful photo - I could almost reach out and take one (or two if your back was turned).

Jan said...

Great pictures Maggie. I don't even like cakes but your picture makes me want to eat one!

Margaret said...

Hazel - I know that you can make elderflower fritters.
For cupcakes I think you would have to flavour them with elderflower cordial.
Unless someone else knows...........

Choclette said...

These look very elegant indeed and I know they taste good because I've made them.

Sophie said...

Very stylish lavender cupcakes,...mmmmmmmm!!

A lovely butterfly as well!

I love making my own lavender sugar!!

Sophie said...

Very stylish lavender cupcakes,...mmmmmmmm!!

A lovely butterfly as well!

I love making my own lavender sugar!!

Kath said...

Right I am off to make some lavender sugar!

lavenderuses said...

Great recipe. I've been looking for some lavender recipes to share with my readers as I have an all things lavender blog. What a great idea and I haven't met anyone who doesn't like cupcakes.
Thanks for sharing this with us.
Patricia Perth Australia
all things lavender

Maria♥ said...

I love lavender and have some in my garden too. I've never made these cupcakes and also have the book, definitely need to make these one day.

Your cupcakes look beautiful!