Saturday, November 13, 2010

JAMIE'S 30 MINUTE MEALS - CHICKEN PIE, FRENCH -STYLE PEAS & SWEET CARROT SMASH


My husband kindly bought me Jamie's book, although true to say, he didn't find that out until now! Cookery books are the equivalent of clothes that you bought ages ago and say you have had them for ages. Perhaps though, you can ask Santa to buy a copy and put it in your Christmas stocking.


There has been negativity in the press, even the BBC Watchdog television programme devoted air time(albeit with humour) to the question - can his dinners really be cooked in 30 minutes?

To be fair, I can't give the answer to this, because as usual, I was multitasking whilst cooking ie. emptying the washing machine, putting clothes into the tumble dryer, drying pots, loading the dishwasher and so on.

I didn't give consideration to making his dessert of Berries, Shortbread & Chantilly Cream because we were still ploughing our way through a dessert from a couple of days previous.

You want me to be honest don't you - I am not sure if I could prepare and cook all of this in 30 minutes, even if I had wanted to take up the challenge.I really like Jamie's new book and know I am going to cook a lot of recipes from it. Also, I have enjoyed his series of programmes to go with the book. He is a great guy and has enough passion and fire in his belly to encourage us all to get cooking.

Feedback on the book from young professionals I have spoken to, is they think he has possibly missed a trick by using so many ingredients. Unless you are a keen cook or have plenty of time, it's not always an easy call, and then there is the expense. Maybe, he should write a book using less ingredients, now there's an idea.


The chicken pie, french-style peas, sweet carrot smash is an incredibly tasty meal and I hope you are encouraged to have a go at this one. After all, it's great comfort food and who doesn't like a pie?

14 comments:

Carole said...

I have been preparing family meals for nearly 50 years and with
Jamie´s 30 minute meals, have found lots of different ways of preparing food so that going into the kitchen is quite exciting at present. Loved the peas in stock, with the lemon but will leave out the lettuce in future. Pie and carrots really nice. Portions are over-generous for us, so will halve or freeze where possible.

Dom at Belleau Kitchen said...

looks great, did you make your own pastry?... i'm very suspicious of the whole 30 minute meals... I mean, are they really that small?

Gloria said...

I love this chicken pie Margaret, look awesome dear, and I love Jamie recipes, I always see him at TV and I love like he cook!! Nice book! x gloria

Heavenly Housewife said...

Well, my feeling is that while Jamie can cook a lot of meals in 30 minutes, clean up time is never accounted for, and that is actually kind of important. Who wants to clean a thousand dishes and a messy kitchen?
That being said, i have enjoyed his show, and have seen a lot of things on his program i'd try to make at home. The recipes are easy for a home cook.
I like your idea about less ingredients.
*kisses* HH

Love From Eden said...

I was watching the episode when he made this meal. Looks yummy!
The show is just a copy of Rachael Ray's 30 min meals. Different dishes but same concept.

Kath said...

This looks very lovely. I think you would be pushed to make some of his meals and the dessert in thirty minutes but I don't think that really matters. If he shows just a few more people that it is possible to cook really good food from scratch in not much longer than it takes to cook a ready meal then he will have done a good thing.

The Caked Crusader said...

You can't beat a good pie in this weather - I'm salivating!

Antonia said...

I almost always find timings in cook books to be out. They never allow enough time for preparing ingredients/weighing things out or clearing up! Having said that, I've enjoyed Jamie's series too and there have certainly been some nice shortcuts which don't compromise on flavour. This meal looks excellent - I could do with a nice pie this evening to warm me up!

Sophie said...

I also love Jamie's last book a lot!! He rocks!!

His recipes never fail me!! This pie looks just stunning & must tastes wonderfully!!

MMMMMMMMMM,..lovely food!

Sam said...

I don't have this book yet but I do have quite a few of Jamies books and I think they're all great, I'm going to ask santa for this one!

Your pie looks brilliant, I really don't think I could do it in half an hour though!

Nicisme said...

This book is already on my Xmas list. I saw the series and the recipes look great, as does your pie. Not sure about the 30 minutes time frame though!

Miriam said...

A young friend cooked this for us last night. It was a lovely meal but the pie was a bit bland.
She's 10 years old and took her 2 hours lol but it was worth it.
Jazz up the pie a bit and warm the carrot please!

Anonymous said...

I tried cooking the super fast hash menu when my wife took my daughter to brownies last wednesday. I started cooking as soon as my wife left at four thirty and it still wasn't ready when she got back at seven.

Maggie said...

Anonymous - oh dear!!! Any more like this ........

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...