Thursday, June 28, 2012

Mini Strawberry Victoria Sponges


I like mini pies, mini muffins, mini cakes, they always look so dainty, and from an era when ladies 'floated' into a restaurant or tea room to eat dainty mini morsels.

Afternoon tea has definitely made a come back and close to where I live there is a cafe that has taken  inspiration from the Lyons Tea Houses.  A while back hubby and I chose a beautiful sunny afternoon to visit a local hotel for afternoon tea and sat in the grounds with champagne in one hand and worked our way through finger sandwiches and cakes with the other.  We've enjoyed a few afternoon teas in various locations and it is a very relaxed and enjoyable way to spend a lazy afternoon.


The strawberries are from my garden and they taste sensational. Unfortunately, I have forgotten the name of the variety......I think they may possibly be Cambridge.

The recipe for the Mini Strawberry Victoria Sponges is on the Lakeland website.

My pretty polka dot plate is from the Bon Bon Collection by Sabichi, they kindly asked if I would review part of the collection a while back, and I love them. The mini sandwich tin is from Lakeland -  Chicago Metallic also sell a similar pan and this is available from Amazon.

9 comments :

Marmaduke Scarlet said...

A lovely taste of summer!

The Caked Crusader said...

How pretty - there is certainly something charming about mini cakes (but only if there's enough of them to equate to a big slice!)

I've been buying locally grown strawberries and am really impressed with the flavour this year.

Paula said...

My mouth is watering, I love the idea of mini cakes and yours look so, so good.

Maggie said...

Marmaduke Scarlet - yes, definitely.
The Caked Crusader - I know what you mean!
Paula - Thank you for visiting my site and leaving a comment.

All That I'm Eating said...

Oh how sweet! These look great,

Lottie @ Lottiesworldofcakes said...

They look gorgeous!

Xinmei @ Pudding Pie Lane said...

Aah, I wish the strawberries from my garden would turn out like yours! Those sponges are so cute and perfect for afternoon tea! I do love afternoon tea :)

Maggie said...

All That I'm Eating
Lotte
Xinmei

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

Afternoon Tea is definitely the best meal! I absolutely adore it and your little sponge cakes are just perfect. I agree with Caked Crusader - there is something charming and irrestible about mini cake!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...