|Lemon Drizzle Cake with a Crunchy Topping|
This last week I've been away from home and it doesn't leave any time for baking, but I just managed to find time to make this Mary Berry recipe. There are lots of recipes for lemon drizzle but this one has a tender crumb and the granulated sugar topping is perfect.
|Mary Berry calls these Crunchy Lemon Syrup Loaves|
|Instead of making loaf cakes use a small oblong tin and make a traybake|
or the batter can be used to make cupcakes
|It can get a bit messy in my kitchen!|
You will need:
2 eggs at room temperature
175g self-raising flour
175g caster sugar
100g soft margarine (Stork)
1 tsp baking powder
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
4 tbsp milk
For the crunchy topping:
100g granulated sugar
juice of 1 lemon (to get more juice from the lemon simply pierce the lemon and place in the microwave for 10 seconds)
2 x 450g loaf tins, greased and lined
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Beat together the eggs, flour, caster sugar, milk, baking powder and lemon zest until smooth, using an ice cream scoop place the batter into the prepared loaf tins.
3. Bake for about 35 minutes until golden brown. Place the tins onto a wire rack to cool.
4. Whilst the cakes are cooling, make the topping by mixing together the granulated sugar and lemon juice.
5. Leave the loaves in their tins and pour the topping over them. Leave to cool before removing from the tins.
More Lemon Drizzle Cake Recipes:
This Year: Almond and Lemon Drizzle Cake Bars
Four Years Ago: Lemon Drizzle Cake - National Baking Week