Sunday, February 18, 2007

LAMB SHANK STEW WITH CREAMY MASH


I have been working my way through various cookery books over the last year or so to find a lamb shank recipe that I have been really pleased with, and this is it. The Australian Women's Weekly cookery books suit my style of cooking. Fearing whether or not a recipe is going to work just isn't an issue with these books - all the recipes I have used in the past have been wonderful. I am looking forward to trying other lamb shank recipes now from their books.

THE AUSTRALIAN WOMEN'S WEEKLY -
FOOD WE LOVE


ISBN 186396477-0

LAMB SHANK STEW WITH CREAMY MASH
- PAGE 71


Serves: 8 people (but can easily be scaled down).

Skill Level: Moderate.

Taste Test: The meat was meltingly tender and the sauce was rich.

This recipe lends itself to being made in the slow cooker - it only takes 5 hours on high. If you do use a slow cooker you will have to dice the vegetables finely otherwise they won't cook.
I made this for two people and so the recipe had to be scaled down accordingly, but I kept the 500ml of red wine in and used half a litre of chicken stock.
It says in the recipe to strain the pan juices and then discard the solids (what a waste!!). I strained the pan juices and served the diced vegetables separately, after all they were cooked in red wine.
I made the mash but left out the cream and I didn't use all of the butter it states in the recipe. Buttered spring cabbage was served with this dish.
The sauce and meat were fabulous - what more can I say but try this recipe for yourself and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Kitchen Equipment Used: Alligator Vegetable Dicer.

8 comments :

Zebra said...

It looks delicious and not too complicated. The only thing, I would personally put the potatoes side by side with the meat, otherwise it will not be very nice when trying to cut the meat...

Ros said...

I'm always very impressed when someone manages to make lamb shanks LOOK good. They always taste great but they aren't the prettiest things. You've done an exceptionally good job with the presentation there!

Freya said...

Delicious!

Brilynn said...

Any dish with lamb is a good one!

Margaret said...

Ros - I agree with your comments - lamb shanks aren't the prettiest cuts of meat, but always taste amazing if cooked properly.

Anonymous said...

Have just recently logged on to your blog through another blog, and I have to say how impressed I am with how professional your photos look and your presentation is fabulous. I am hooked now and will definately try out some of the stuff....I too am a bit of a gadget freak, and although I have a hand held blender, (well two actually, one for soups and savouries the other for shakes and smoothies. No I am not a millionaire! I thought I had lost the first one and then bought another before finding it again!) have always thought the Bamix would be an improved version...oh well, if I misplace one of these I might buy one.

Margaret said...

Thank you for your kind words and I hope you will find something that says 'cook me' in the future also. Mx

Culinary Cowgirl said...

Just discovered your site...and that you are a fellow member of the UK Food Bloggers. Love that you mentioned the Australian Women's Weekly cookbooks! I love them...and have quite a few. They are so straight-forward and user-friendly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...