Wednesday, March 28, 2007


Johanna over at thepassionatecook is running the challenge Waiter, there's something in my ... Easter Basket!

Hot cross buns! Hot cross buns!
One a penny two a penny - Hot cross buns.
If you have no daughters, give them to your sons.
One a penny two a penny - Hot cross buns.

I am sure we all learnt the above as school children, but I don't think Hot cross buns were ever made into a pudding or at least I don't have any knowledge of this.

Making sure the custard is not cooked too much is important here, I like my custard to have a wobble! The custard layer was very deep, and for all egg custard lovers this pudding will be a delight.

This is quite a substantial pudding, one for the boys maybe? On looks this would be far more attractive if it had been made with mini Hot cross buns and then a smaller portion or second helpings could be enjoyed by all.

A couple more Hot cross bun recipes I have seen recently are - James Martin's new cookery book Desserts and also in the April issue of Delicious Magazine.

Note: The original recipe came from Bart's Spices Website and unfortunately they have removed the recipe from their site. I didn't make a copy of the recipe but I believe it is a rich custard mixed with vanilla and cooked in the usual way.


Freya and Paul said...

What a great idea for using up hot cross buns (of which everyone in Britain must always have a surfeit of)! Looks delicious!

Kristen said...

I just found out tonight that my 5 year old is a big fan of hot cross buns. I'll have to make these sometime!
I am so irritated with myself... I totally forget about this even this month!

thepassionatecook said...

his looks great! left-overs turned into something eveb more yummy!
thanks for contributing and sorry for the initial omission!

janelle said...

yummy! I love hearing childhood ditties!

Deborah Dowd said...

What a fabulous idea- I get HCB because they are traditional, but I am the only one in my family that likes them, but bread pudding... I'm going back for the day old buns!

Sophie said...

This looks gorgeous. I'll have to find a way to have some buns leftover now!

Margaret said...

A new way to eat leftover Hot Cross Buns - that is, if you have any left!!

Little Foodie said...

You said one for the boys but I think there would be fighting in our house. My children love hot cross buns and custard too so this is their dream pudding.