Wednesday, June 18, 2008

PASSION CAKE


I have no idea why this is called passion cake - can anyone help on this one?

In my previous post, I made mini coconut loaves with fresh coconut and after wading through countless recipes that needed coconut decided on this recipe, perhaps in part because it only needs 28g of my precious coconut!

The cake will cut much better straight from the fridge and can then be brought up to room temperature for eating. If you like lots of topping then I would double up on the ingredients. You can see from the photograph it looks as though I've been mean with the topping. Unfortunately, I didn't have any mascarpone cheese left to make more.

I'll definitely be making this cake again, it was crumbly, moist and full of flavour and the unusual topping went perfectly with the cake.


I made this cake especially for my son who came home for the weekend and he said he thought it was amazing. In fact, we all thought it was amazing!

Sue Lawrence, the author of this book, won Masterchef in 1991 and was the President of the Guild of Food Writers from 2004 to 2007.

SUE LAWRENCE ON BAKING

ISBN 1856262669 - Page 70

You will need: 18cm loose-bottomed, base-lined cake tin.

For the cake: 170g butter, softened, 170g soft light brown sugar, 3 medium eggs, 198g wholemeal self-raising flour, ½ teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 28g desiccated coconut, 57g raisins, 170g carrots (peeled weight) finely grated, 57g chopped walnuts.

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together with a mixer on low speed until light and fluffy. Then beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well mixed.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a bowl. Using a metal spoon, gently fold into the creamed mixture, followed by the coconut, raisins, carrots and walnuts. Mix gently but thoroughly.
4. Turn into the tin and level the top. Bake for about 1 hour, or until a fine skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for at least 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

For the topping: 2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese, 2 tablespoons natural yoghurt, 2 teaspoons runny honey, 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts.

1. To make the topping, beat together the mascarpone cheese, yoghurt and honey until smooth.
2. Spread over the top of the cold cake and sprinkle with chopped nuts.

The cake can be frozen completely iced. Store in the refrigerator after defrosting.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really must try this , as I do a muffin recipe from Dorie Greenspan's book which has the same mixture and I love them! I actually have this book of Sue Lawrence's too, I don't know why I haven't noticed the similarity before, there you go , too many books I suppose! Your cake looks lovely by the way, I'm glad you enjoyed it with your son!
Jeannettedvdxzyxl

nicisme said...

I don't know why it's called passion cake either. Did you feel... errr.. passionate after eating it? LOL!!
Looks very nice Margaret!

Maria said...

I have made this exact cake and it is absolutely delicious. Your cake turned out wonderful and I sure your son loved it!

Maria
x

The Caked Crusader said...

I don't know why it's called Passion cake either - I always assumed there was a religious connection/reason for it
However it got its name it's a fine looking cake!

Priscilla said...

wow, that looks deelicious! i don't know whey they called it a passion cake, maybe because you can't help but be passionate as you get that 2nd piece??

Happy cook said...

I have no idea why it is called like that. Maybe because becaus the person who made this cake was passionatley in love with the cake.
I would be as the cake looks so delicious.
And about the comment in my page, Besan flour is hindi in English it is CHick pea flour, you will get in your indian shops, if you have one near to your place.

Cakelaw said...

Like everyone else, I can't tell you why it is called passion cake - but I feel passionate about it ooking at those gorgeous photos. Another one I'd be keen to make.

Kristen said...

Doesn't that look lovely? It looks like a full of flavor kind of cake!

Anonymous said...

Just served this up to my husband as a birthday cake! Made it a couple of days ago and frosted it this morning, I was glad of your advice about making double the quantity, it does need it IMO also. It was very well received by him and our guests so I will make it again sometime. I thought Passion cake was appropriate for someone I've been with for nearly 50 years!!! Jeannette

Margaret said...

Hi Jeannette - thank you for coming back and commenting on the Passion Cake. I'm pleased your husband enjoyed the cake for his birthday. Also glad the guests enjoyed sharing his lovely cake.
It's a joy to hear from someone who has been with their husband for nearly 50 years! Thank you for letting me know the cake did need double the quantity of icing. The cake in the book looks absolutely smothered in icing but when I made it I ended up with a small amount and had to make do with what I had! Mx

Margaret said...

Hi Nicisme - unfortunately, the cake didn't make me feel at all passionate. Afterall, I did have my grown up son around all weekend!!! Mx

Nora B. said...

The photo of the sliced cake reminds me of carrot cake. I can't figure out why it's called passion cake either...but as long as it tastes good, I don't care what it's called ;-)

MEDITERRANEAN KIWI said...

this is very similar to the carrot cake I made with a recipe passed on to me by forkfulofspagehtti. she called it carrot cake, i called it carrot love cake, and i can see why this version's called passion cake. everything about it is healthy - it gives you a passion to love and treasure your life

Margaret said...

Thank you everyone for popping by and leaving comments, they are much appreciated.

Sophie said...

Maybe it's called passion cake because it has many warm flavors and tasty ingredients; love definitely makes me feel warm and gooey inside :D.

Kelly-Jane said...

Sue is just such a good writer, and her cakes are great too, this one looks moist and good.

The_Chef said...

The origin of the cake is actually a little less interesting I'm afraid to say, but as a chef specializing in old recipes I can tell you The cake was made for weddings as a cheaper alternative to ‘spice’ cake (fruit cake with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ground allspice and ginger) which required large amounts of dried fruits and spices to make and were not commonly affordable to the ordinary people of Britain. Passion cake was so named, as it was a symbol of union and celebration of marriage, however the French had coined the term celebration cake, and wedding cake was already given for the traditional spice cake, so it was named simply passion cake, to reflect the love of nuptial couple.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...