Monday, September 29, 2008

CHIANTI BAKED MEATBALLS


Over the next few weeks, I have decided to cook a few recipes from Jo Pratt's wonderful book -
In the Mood for Food
ISBN 9780718148584
- page 122

There are six chapters in the book: In the Mood.....for Being Healthy, Something Naughty but Nice, Some Comfort, Being Lazy, Being Extravagant and Being Romantic.

The Chianti baked meatballs are light in texture with lots of flavour. The meatballs are cooked in a rich tomato, red wine and basil sauce. This is a one pot meal, cooked in the oven from start to finish. The only alteration I made to the recipe, was to leave out the olives from the meatball mixture - olives aren't a huge hit in this family. The basil leaves are out of my garden, only small leaves are left because garden creatures have destroyed all the other leaves!

You can serve the meatballs with pasta, or potato mixed with rosemary and olive oil, this can then be cooked in the oven with the meatballs.

The recipe can be found here on Nigella's site and is a recipe recommended by Nigella's Admin! I too, would recommend this recipe and I know it won't be long before my husband requests this again.

13 comments:

Jan said...

Looks delish! But I'd leave the olives in - Paul, however doesn't like them.....but I do!
Great picture!

Sylvie said...

Mmmmhhh, I can just about smell and taste those!

Jan said...

They look delicious, Margaret. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the link to the recipe to work.

Beth said...

I had a thumb through this book in my local waterstones not so long ago - I was so tempted to buy it but stopped myself. Might just have yo go back - this meal would be a huge hit in my family

Margaret said...

Jan - I forgot to tell you, I've been taking the photographs recently and have put my husband out of a job!

Happy cook said...

I love jo pratt. I always think her recipes are easy to follow, i don't have the book, but i have seen in lot of ITV cooking programmes

Maria said...

Margaret I have made these Chianti Baked Meatballs, aren't they yummy? Your meatballs look so delicious!

Maria
x

Dee said...

Oh, wow! Sounds amazing Margaret! I'd leave the olives in :)

Rosie said...

This is a lovely book M and I can't wait to view what else you cook/bake from this!!

Your Chianti Baked Meatballs look amazing!! I've been meaning to make these since Maria told me how good they are. Thank you for prompting me to make them :)

Rosie x

Dana McCauley said...

Sounds delish! Was it from the comfort section of the book?

Margaret said...

Dana - Yes, this recipe was from the chapter In the Mood for Some Comfort. Somehow, I omitted to mention this!
Thank you for visiting my site and leaving comments, they are very much appreciated.

Mallika said...

Mmmm, sounds lovely and very comforting for this cold autumn weather we're having.

Margaret said...

Thank you for visiting my site and leaving such kind comments - once again, they are very much appreciated. M x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...