Sunday, January 18, 2009


According to Google, in 2008 meatballs come in at No 2, on their list of the fastest rising recipes for the UK. I couldn't help smiling when I saw this - I had no idea they were so popular.

In last weekends Times Magazine, Gordon Ramsay tells us, out of all the recipe requests he gets, meatballs is still the most popular.

I didn't have these as a child, I didn't feed these to my children, and it's very rare for me to even consider making them.

I've only ever made meatballs occasionally - Nigella's recipe, Jo Pratt's and now Gordon's. All of them went beautifully with pasta. I am forgetting, of course, that I have made lamb kofta meatballs to go with curry a few times.

The quantity of meat used in the original recipe was reduced, Gordon uses 500g each of beef and pork mince to feed 6 people. I used 250g each of beef and pork mince, this made 24 meatballs (enough for two people for two meals). I made the full quantity of tomato sauce though. We had half of the tomato sauce and meatballs for diiner and I froze the other half for a rainy day.

Sage and parsley was used for the meatballs, if I was to make this again, I would perhaps use rosemary and parsley or thyme and parsley. I wasn't too sure about the sage and parsley combo.


Katiecakes said...

Oh yum! Teamed with a big bowl of spaghetti and I'm in heaven!


Katie xox

Jan said...

Great picture Maggie - looks like one yummy recipe!

The Caked Crusader said...

now that looks like a big inviting bowl of food!

Anne said...

They look great!

I always get asked to make meatballs by the other half, seems to be his favourite food! My recipe is quite similar to Gordon's, as we love the parmesan addition, though I tried Jamie's recipe with the lemon zest before and whilst I liked them, the other half didnt!

pigpigscorner said...

wow looks delicious in pool of tomato sauce!I love eating meatballs with pasta.

Sylvie said...

I used to make meatballs quite a lot, but haven't done so in ages. It's about time I had some again. I love the with spaghetti or in a sub.

Rosie said...

Your meatball dish looks delicious M!! My family enjoy meatballs with pasta I must look this recipe up to try :)

Rosie x

Maria said...

Margaret, your meatball dish looks perfect, my idea of comfort, especially during this cold weather.


Anonymous said...

Link is not working