Tuesday, December 29, 2009

MINCEMEAT AND APPLE JALOUSIE


Another wonderful way to use homemade, or even a bought jar of good quality mincemeat, is a Mincemeat and Apple Jalousie. This dessert is really easy to make and a great way to use up leftover mincemeat.

If you make this now, say for recipe testing purposes, you may well find you are a Mincemeat and Apple Jalousie convert! I have slightly adapted the recipe - the baking times in the original recipe, I found, were too short to cook the apples. Bake at 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6 for approximately 20 minutes, then turn the oven down to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas 4 for another 10-15 minutes, checking with a skewer the apple is cooked to your liking.

Next year on Christmas Day, guests who aren't too keen on Christmas Pudding, or would like something a little lighter, will be more than delighted to have a slice of this dessert with either cream poured over, as I did, or serve with the Cognac Creme Anglaise as suggested by Rick Stein, in Recipes for the Weekend, Weekend Telegraph.

Happy New Year!

12 comments:

Janice said...

Sounds great Margaret. The Cognac Creme Anglaise sounds like the perfect accompaniment.

LexEat! said...

Oooh yum - I could inhale a piece of that right now!

James said...

Jealous of your jalousie. Reminds me my gran used to make this years ago. Pretty tasty!

Hope you had a good one!

Sophie said...

A superb dessert, I think!

MMMMMMMMMMM,...I wish you & your Family a happy, fun & healthy 2010!!

Lucie said...

Margaret this looks delicious - I have had my eye on Delia's version of this for ages - you have inspired me! Hope you have had a happy Christmas. Lucie
PS- I noticed today that you has asked me the name of the hotel I had visited for Christmas lunch - it was Coombe Abbey in Coventry. Sorry for delay, only spotted it today :) Do go, they are offering offers on Lunches in Jan, Feb and March too :) I'm sure you would enjoy it.

C said...

That looks lovely Margaret. I seem to have quite a bit of mincemeat to use up, so I might try this one!

The Caked Crusader said...

Looks gorgeous - I'm not a fan of mincemeat on it's own but in something like this - yum! I have my eye on an apple and mincemeat cake but unfortunately used up all the mincemeat! If I see a nice jar I might be tempted to use ready made
Happy new year

pecot85 said...

look so yummy..im hungry!!

kath said...

What a delicious combination, may have to do this for the next sunday lunch pudding, it looks very tasty indeed. Happy New Year Margaret, looking forward to keeping up with your kitchen delights in 2010.

Jan said...

Looks really lovely Maggie!

Nicisme said...

Great way to use up mincemeat!
Happy New Year and all the best for 2010!

Dee said...

Happy New Year, Margaret! I wish I had stopped by earlier when I still had some mincemeat left. Made (somewhat unimaginative) Banana "Surprise! It's The Leftover Mincemeat" Muffins instead :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...