This cake is the perfect rainy day bake, it's easy to make, cuts well and can be frozen in slices.
I love a cake that can be eaten as dessert too and a dollop of either cream or creme fraiche on the side is the perfect accompaniment.
This cake looks pretty even before it gets to the baking stage. I decided to gently press the raspberries into the batter just in case they sank but guess what not one single raspberry sank. If you make this cake I'd definitely recommend stirring a few raspberries through the batter before baking.
The cake can be made successfully in one bowl using the all in one method if you wish to save time or made in a food processor by mixing everything but the fresh raspberries and flaked almonds together until blended. On this occasion I used the Thermomix and I've included the method for this too.
You will need: 20cm springform buttered and lined with baking parchment.
150 g butter, softened
150 g caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp almond extract
50 ml milk at room temperature
150 g self-raising flour
150 g ground almonds
150 g fresh raspberries
25 g flaked almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. Cream the butter until soft using a food mixer. Add the sugar to the bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Whisk the eggs and the almond extract together then gradually add the eggs beating all the time. Beat in the milk.
3. Add the flour and ground almonds to the batter and gently fold in. Add the raspberries and fold in carefully trying not to break them up too much.
4. Pour the cake batter into the tin, then scatter over the flaked almonds. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
5. Remove the cake from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar.
1. Place room temperature butter and caster sugar into the bowl. Cream together 20 Sec/Speed 4.
2. Add the eggs, almond extract, milk, self raising flour and ground almonds mix 20 Sec/Speed 5.
3. Scrape down the mixture in the bowl.
4. Mix 20 Sec/Speed 5.
5. Pour the batter into a mixing bowl, add the flaked almonds and raspberries and gently combine.
6. Continue using the conventional method from 4. above.
You may also like:
Raspberry, Almond and Custard Cake
The Perfect Raspberry and Almond Cake
Fresh Raspberry and Almond Traybake
Raspberry, Chocolate and Almond Cake