Friday, March 14, 2008

JAMIE OLIVER'S HOT CROSS PUDDING


Jamie has come up with a great idea for a Easter hot cross bun pudding. We have just had the pleasure of eating this for our pud and it was great.
This recipe is part of Sainsbury's 'Try something new today' and uses Taste the difference hot cross buns and Taste the difference vanilla custard.

I have adapted the recipe using products I have tried before and enjoyed.

Serves: 4 people
4 hot cross buns from Marks and Spencer, halved and spread with Tiptree medium cut orange marmalade. Layer in an ovenproof dish and pour in fresh custard from Marks and Spencer to come half way up the buns. pop into a preheated oven 180°C for 20-25 minutes. Spread more marmalade onto the hot buns. Fabulous.


Sainsbury's Recipe.
Serves: 4 people.
4 Taste the difference hot cross buns, halved and spread with marmalade. Layer in an ovenproof dish and almost cover with Taste the difference vanilla custard. Allow the custard to soak into the buns for about 15 minutes. Then pop into a preheated oven Gas 4 for 15 minutes. Finish by placing under a hot grill for 5 minutes until golden brown.

Marks and Spencer products were used because I found the Sainsbury's Taste the difference hot cross buns disappointing, their ordinary hot cross buns are much better. Unfortunately, The Taste the difference vanilla custard has a very strange taste, I think it would be far better to buy fresh custard and flavour it with vanilla extract.

Last year I made Vanilla Scented Hot Cross Bun Pudding which was very good too!

27 comments :

Jules said...

What a fab way for using up hot cross buns.

Carolyn said...

This looks delicious mmmmm

nicisme said...

Mmmm... looks really good Margaret. I like the idea of the marmalade.
You have to use the ingredients that you prefer, otherwise it would be a waste.

Pixie said...

Great, easy simple delicious recipe- thanks for sharing!

Antonia said...

Oooh - yum, yum, yum! I'd love a spoonful of that right now.

Kelly-Jane said...

Oh I can just imagine it, mmmm. I'll have to try hot cross buns from M&S thanks for the reccomendation!

Sylvia said...

I love M&S. The next time that I visit London I wouldn't just buy lingerie.
I'll try those hot buns too

Bellini Valli said...

Wouldn't this be a fabulous dessert over the holdiays:D

Rosie said...

Oh M this is a stunning pud with hot cross buns!!

Happy Easter

Rosie x

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

A lovely, simple, tasty pudding option!

We Are Never Full said...

I've been learning about more and more British food traditions as the years pass with my British husband. Jonny just texted me to tell me he was making hot cross buns tonight! Looking forward to tasting them! -amy @ http://www.weareneverfull.com

Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

If you dont like marmalade what else could you use with this?

Kelly-Jane said...

Hi Margaret, I wanted to post and say thank you so much for running the egg competition with Hotel Chocolat - I won an egg! I'm so pleased =) and looking forward to trying it on Sunday... if I can contain myself until then! Thank you again =)

KJxx

Margaret said...

How wonderful Kelly. I wasn't sure if it was you who had won.
Congratulations and thank you for taking part in the competition.
Don't eat too much Easter egg all at once. You must do the same as you tell the children - share!!

Margaret said...

Anonymous - I know lots of people don't like marmalade - its the rind some people find objectionable.
I think I would just simply spread the buns with lots of butter. Or how about mixing some sultanas in with the vanilla custard.
Another idea spread the buns with apricot jam or Nigella Lawson uses ginger jam in her bread and butter pudding recipe.
Hope this helps.

monda-loves said...

hello Margaret - I think you may be getting quite a few hits on this recipe today! Thanks for popping by my blog with your kind comments - I'm off to try this recipe now - and might even ad a bit of vanilla extract to my custard too so thanks for that tip.

Monda
x

Margaret said...

Thank you for the comments everyone. I hope you enjoyed the pud.

Anonymous said...

strawberry jam is yummy in place of the marmalade ;-)

Lu said...

Apricot jam is also delicious in place of marmalade. I tried it a couple of nights ago and it was scrummy! =D

Margaret said...

anonymous and lu - pleased that you stopped by and gave us your recommendations instead of using the marmalade.
I always think recipes are there as a blueprint and then it's always good to do your 'own thing' with them!

Maria V said...

what lovely memories this brings back of hot cross buns in NZ...

Anonymous said...

thankyou so much for this i was looking for a pudding for easter sunday to feed 9 and this fits the bill

Anonymous said...

wow this looks lovely! My family are coming round tonight so i am going to make this, and hopefully impress them!
Thanks,
Emily
x

cazza said...

Warburtons do a Hot Cross Bun LOAF! ... So I have just made a batch of this bread and butter pudding with the bread slices made from this hot cross bun recipe and I added a squeeze of orange juice and grated orange zest to the top ... such LOVELY comfort food as am just getting over the flu and needed something just like this to cheer me up :-)

Margaret said...

Cazza - Sorry that you have had the dreaded flu.
I love the recipe idea you came up with. I will give yours a go.
Thank you for leaving a comment.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I'm planning on making this on Sunday. Just a quick question, when you put it in the oven in a ovenproof dish, did you cover the dish or leave it open?

Thanks,

Chris

Maggie said...

Chris - thank you for leaving a comment. I left the dish open and found it didn't need covering.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...